Sunday, November 8, 2009

Reflections on oral presentation

I decided to take this module in hopes of improving my communication skills and finally the most dreaded part of the module - oral presentation has come to an end. It was easy coming out with the contents of the presentation but to actually communicate our research and findings to the audience was by no means an easy feat!

Honestly speaking, despite having practiced a lot at home, I was still really nervous during the presentation. I think I had a lot of weird hand gestures and there was many awkward pauses in the middle of a sentence. I guess I was trying too hard to inject some humour and when I could not think of what to say I just panicked. Haha.

After two oral presentation, this recent one and another for peer teaching, although I was still nervous I would still say that this has helped me improve. I wasn't speaking so fast like a bullet train and though there were still some weird hand gestures my hands were not all over the place like it was a few years back.

I also think that the question and answer session was pretty good and we showed that we did try to think what problems would we encounter with implementing our proposal and coming up with possible solution.

In conclusion, one cannot master public speaking overnight and to do well in oral presentations require practice and experience. I am sure that this oral presentation will serve as a very good experience for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I thought you and your groupmates did a very good job at the presentation. I did not notice your supposed awkward gestures and pauses. Overall, the presentation went pretty smoothly and you aced through the question and answer section.

    I would definitely agree that public speaking cannot be mastered overnight and I hope that the practise sessions in this module helped to to hone in your presentation skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually i did not really noticed that you were nervous till you said it. Haha. I guess all of us were. You did seem a bit less natural compared to the previous time but overall it was still good.

    Haha i think by just being you, you will be more natural and the usual humour will come smoothly. Maybe you do not need to try so hard, sometimes the right punch line will come along least when you expect =)

    Anyway good job there gal!!

    ReplyDelete